Sunday 21 December 2008

My Fave Recipe - Salt & Pepper Prawn


I have decided to start a posting on my favourite recipe whenever possible. I love cooking and had mentioned it in my posting on 6 Random Things About Me. Alice of Singapore has asked if I have a blog on cooking. That has given me an idea to do this special My Fave Recipe posting.

To kickstart, I would like to feature this Salt and Pepper Prawn that I have recently cooked. It's simple and delicious. My family loves it very much. The result is very close to what I have eaten in Cantonese restaurants. You could give it a try too! This recipe was published in
The Star by Amy Beh. For convenience, the recipe has been re-produced here:

Salt & Pepper Prawns

================

Ingredients

  • 500g medium large prawns

  • Cooking oil

  • 2 tbsp sesame oil

  • 2 stalks spring onion, chopped

  • 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped

  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped

  • 1 tbsp salt

  • 1 tbsp pepper

  • 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder

  • 1 tsp sugar

Marinade

  • 1 tbsp ginger juice

  • ½ tsp salt

  • ½ tsp pepper

  • 4 tbsp cornflour

Method

  1. Trim prawns and season with marinade for about 10 minutes.
  2. Combine salt, pepper and five spice powder in a non-stick saucepan. Fry until heated through for about 30 seconds. Remove, leave aside and stir in sugar to combine.
  3. Heat cooking oil in a wok until hot and deep-fry prawns in batches until crispy for 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain from oil.
  4. Heat a clean wok with sesame oil. Sauté garlic until fragrant. Return prawns to the wok and add pre-fried combined salt and pepper mixture, chopped spring onion and chilli. Toss and fry briefly.

3 comments:

alicesg said...

Ooooo, it looked so delicious and yummy. I think I would try your prawn recipe. Yes, I too like to read Amy Beh's recipe. Thanks for sharing. :)

humanobserver said...

it must be delicious....

spacedlaw said...

Thank you for sharing this delicious but simple recipe.

"Use your first smile, your first form of generosity, of love, of kindness—use it at home; start at home. And if there is something left over—if … your plate is just full of abundance of patience and goodness and smiles and joy, then by all means, you should go … and offer that to others. But we must begin at home." by Dr Robin Smith