Saturday 27 February 2010

A Punjabi Bride

I was fortunate to be invited to a Punjabi wedding after I gate-crashed my neighbour's daughter's hen party. I contemplated for a long while if I should pop by the hen party uninvited. Nearing midnight, I could not resist the temptation. Metaphorically said, I went, I saw and I conquered.

Firstly, I introduced myself to my dear neighbour and said I have never attended a Punjabi wedding. Can I take some photos of the bride? She introduced herself as Gurmit. It was the first time we formally introduced ourselves to each other although we have been staying a few doors away from each other for the past 10 years. That's life in the city here!! Thanks that the wedding took place and now I got to know another neighbour!!!

The kind Gurmit said the painting of henna on the bride's hands & feet were over. She insisted that I stay back for some food and drink. Even got me to do a Bhangra dance with her leading me on. She then popped out the invitation to attend the wedding at the Gudwara Sahib (a Sikh Temple) in SS14, PJ. Without hesitation I said YES, it would give me great pleasure to attend a Punjabi wedding for the very first time. I was overjoyed!!! Thank you to Gurmit for having me at her daughter's wedding! And I will never forget my first bhangra experience!

And this is the photo of Gurmit's daughter, Harvin, on her wedding day. She looked resplendant in the bridal costume & make-up. Wasn't she beautiful?

To Harvin & husband, Harveen, all the very best to you both. May you share many blissful years loving one another!

1 comment:

Gunn said...

She is beautiful and elegant!
Best wishes to her and her husband for a long and happy life together.

"Use your first smile, your first form of generosity, of love, of kindness—use it at home; start at home. And if there is something left over—if … your plate is just full of abundance of patience and goodness and smiles and joy, then by all means, you should go … and offer that to others. But we must begin at home." by Dr Robin Smith